Do you struggle with the day-to-day of parenthood and the professional life? Can one person really make a difference in standing up to bigotry? What are the differences between honesty and kindness, and when are they called for? We unpack all of that (and way more) with today’s special guest: Sabaa Tahir.
And guess what else? This is Sabaa’s second time on the show, our first-ever repeat guest! Click here to listen to her first episode. In this episode, we pick up where we left off from the first time around and we discuss things that will hit you right in the gut and empower you to make a difference. I’m thrilled to finally share this episode with you!
Books & Resources Mentioned in Sabaa’s Episode:
Check out these highlights:
- We check in with Sabaa to see what she’s been up to since we last talked. Hint: She’s murdered a few more characters! [4:00]
- How Sabaa balances the expectations of deadlines and how long it actually takes her to craft her stories [4:35]
- We discuss the daily struggle of balancing parenthood and the professional life [7:32]
- Sabaa shares her advice on how she stays intentional with her parenting [9:20]
- Sabaa reflects on her parent’s hard work and resilience to achieve success for her family [17:55]
- How one person can change your life and ways you can be that person for someone else [23:56]
- How to make the distinction between honesty and kindness in different situations [31:58]
- Why it’s crucial to stand up for what’s right and fight against the status quo with those closest to you [32:13]
“Hard work is a fact of life.”
“I think they’re much better books because I’ve taken the time to get them right.”
“Kindness isn’t what’s always called for and I think that’s a really important distinction that there are many cases it is important and many cases in which honesty is what’s called for.”
If you got some awesome takeaways from this episode and would love to show your appreciation, the best way would be through any of the following:
- Help sustain 88 Cups of Tea by making a monthly gift in any amount through our ‘tokens of love’ page
- A one-time contribution by clicking here
- Pick up our carefully crafted writing prompts with your gift of $10 or more
We dedicate a ton of heart and soul into fostering a space that encourages learning, creativity, growth, and community. The most sincerest thank you for your love and support!
Say ‘Hi’ to Sabaa!
Learn More About “A Reaper at the Gates”
An Entertainment Weekly Summer Reads pick!
The highly anticipated third book in #1 New York Times bestselling author Sabaa Tahir’s EMBER QUARTET.
Beyond the Martial Empire and within it, the threat of war looms ever larger.
Helene Aquilla, the Blood Shrike, is desperate to protect her sister’s life and the lives of everyone in the Empire. But she knows that danger lurks on all sides: Emperor Marcus, haunted by his past, grows increasingly unstable and violent, while Keris Veturia, the ruthless Commandant, capitalizes on the Emperor’s volatility to grow her own power–regardless of the carnage she leaves in her path.
Far to the east, Laia of Serra knows the fate of the world lies not in the machinations of the Martial court, but in stopping the Nightbringer. But in the hunt to bring him down, Laia faces unexpected threats from those she hoped would help her, and is drawn into a battle she never thought she’d have to fight.
And in the land between the living and the dead, Elias Veturius has given up his freedom to serve as Soul Catcher. But in doing so, he has vowed himself to an ancient power that demands his complete surrender–even if that means abandoning the woman he loves.
Learn More About Sabaa Tahir
Sabaa Tahir is the #1 New York Times bestselling author of An Ember in the Ashes and its sequel, A Torch Against the Night. She grew up in California’s Mojave Desert at her family’s eighteen-room motel. There, she spent her time devouring fantasy novels, raiding her brother’s comic book stash, and playing guitar badly. She began writing An Ember in the Ashes while working nights as a newspaper editor. She likes thunderous indie rock, garish socks, and all things nerd. Sabaa currently lives in the San Francisco Bay Area with her family.