Curious about self-publishing your novel and creating a successful marketing plan? Or bringing in a side income with your writing? How about tips on becoming debt-free? We talk about it all and more with Laura Adams.
Laura is a personal finance expert, an author of many books including her book Debt-Free Blueprint, and the founder and host of Money Girl podcast where Laura shares personal finance, real estate, and investing tips to help listeners live a richer life.
In our conversation, Laura shares how she discovered her passion for personal finance that kick-started her blogging, podcasting, self-publishing, and PR career. She chats about how she created her own opportunities to grow her podcast and gain representation from Quick and Dirty Tips Network. We then dive into Laura’s experience self-publishing where she shares invaluable marketing tips like how to take charge of your marketing plan, creative ways to utilize your social media platforms, and how to establish a marketing budget. And later, she dishes some real-talk on side hustles, taxes, and becoming debt-free.
Books and resources:
- Money Girl’s podcast episodes:
- Quick and Dirty Tips Network
- Macmillan Publishers
- Audible’s ACX
- Author and financial advisor Suze Orman
- Dominate Your Dollars Facebook Group
We Love Our 88 Cups of Tea Patreon Family!
If you’ve ever wondered how to best support the content you love to consume, signing up to join our Patreon Family is the most helpful way!
Over the years, we’ve earned the reputation of adding more positivity and hope into people’s lives, boosting the morale of our listeners and readers. We’ve become the go-to space for storytellers seeking camaraderie and inspiration. Because of you, our growing community has allowed us the platform to amplify the voices and stories of various storytellers from all walks of life to embolden you with your creative pursuits.
Thank you for considering how much impact your contribution can make, and thank you most sincerely for caring about 88 Cups of Tea being a part of your life and fellow storyteller’s lives.
Check out these highlights:
- A peek into Laura’s journey to becoming a personal finance expert (5:30)
- The steps she took to grow her Money Girl podcast and obtain representation from the Quick and Dirty Tips Network (10:55)
- How you can spark opportunities for growth in your creative pursuits (12:30)
- Laura shares her traditional and self-publishing experiences (14:55)
- How to take charge of your marketing plan when you are self-publishing your novel (16:55)
- Fun and innovative ways to use your social media platforms for marketing (19:00)
- How to integrate marketing into your book (24:40)
- Creative strategies to shine more visibility on your book once it’s published (30:10)
- Tips on establishing a strong marketing budget (34:25)
- All the resources you need to successfully self publish your work (37:15)
- Advice on managing your taxes as a self-employed writer (43:55)
- How to utilize your storytelling skills to bring in a side income (47:15)
- Laura’s top tips on how to become debt-free (51:05)
“It’s been an interesting path because if you had asked me when I was in college if I thought this is what I was going to be doing ten, twenty years down the road, I would’ve thought you were insane. It really came in a very winding, twisty path.”-Laura Adams
“It is so important for authors to have platforms these days. Even if you get a great PR team with your traditional publisher, you’ve got to sustain that marketing long-term.”-Laura Adams
“The goal is getting your book in front of new people. So if you can expand not only your own platform but make sure that other people are exposing your book to their platforms as well, that’s truly the holy grail of marketing.”-Laura Adams
“They say you can’t judge a book by its cover but we always do judge books by their cover especially online.”-Laura Adams
“Put it all on paper or put it in a spreadsheet in front of you. A lot of people are stressed about debt because they don’t even really know how much debt they have; their kind of putting their heads in the sand about it.”-Laura Adams
Say “Hi” to Laura Adams:
Learn more about Money Girl podcast
Money Girl provides short and friendly personal finance, real estate, and investing tips to help you live a richer life. Whether you’re just starting out or are already a savvy investor, Money Girl’s advice will point you in the right direction
Learn more about Laura Adams
Laura Adams is a personal finance expert and author of the award-winning book Money Girl’s Smart Moves to Grow Rich. She hosts the top-rated Money Girl podcast on iTunes and QuickandDirtyTips.com with over 36 million downloads. Laura is a frequent personal finance contributor on FOX News, FOX Business, and The Huffington Post. Her advice has been featured on NBC News, in USA Today, U.S. News and World Report, Time, Consumer Reports, and many other media outlets